Tuesday, November 4, 2008

November 4th 08

I woke up @ 5:45 am! Took a look @ the clock, and laid back down, but for some reason I couldn't fall asleep. I knew today was election day, so I had to get up. I jumped in the shower, got dressed, and headed to Beacon Heights Elem. School(fifth grade whoo whoo!) The line was partially long, but not as bad as I expected. As I waited in line more and more people arrived and as the line grew..I noticed  how almost every face was African American. I tried to imagine the days when blacks were not even allowed to vote. However, I couldn't imagine living in a country where my opinion did not matter because of my race. I proudly watched as the elderly people were led to the front of the line and I was expecting some people to be angered by this. To my surprise, everyone was pleased to let the senior citizens cast their votes first. It amazed me how one man, one cause could bring such a strong feeling of unity. Not until that moment did I truly feel the significance of voting for the first time.

2 comments:

NAE NAE said...

damn cuzzo! this made my eyes tear.

"Not until that moment did I truly feel the significance of voting for the first time..."

profound.

Gre' Acey said...

Man was I proud to vote. It was good to see blacks come together and vote and agree on the same aspects.. beautiful feeling. young and elderly ppl.. love too see those ugly and beautiful smiles on each others faces for a change..lmao